Open letter from Dr. Morrison to CMS parents | News
CHARLOTTE, NC (WBTV)- The following is a letter from Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools Superintendent Heath Morrison to parents:
Dear CMS parent,
As is the case with our entire country, my heart grieves for the loss of life and the violence that was perpetrated against the innocent children and dedicated staff at Sandy Hook Elementary School this past week. Our thoughts and prayers continue to be with the community and with the families whose lives are forever changed.
As a parent and an educator, I am deeply concerned about these senseless acts of violence. The safety and well being of the children who come to our schools each day is our highest priority – all other priorities come after that most sacred obligation. So since Friday, many plans have been under way. We have been working with our city and county law enforcement partners to increase security across all of our CMS schools. We are doing this not because we have a concern about an imminent security threat but because this increased security presence will bring comfort to our parents, teachers and staff during this sensitive time. We have been working diligently with our principals to review the crisis plans and the safety policies and procedures we have in place, to ensure district counseling resources are available when needed, and to share information on how to help our parents and staff deal with crises.
We will continue to monitor the investigation results in Connecticut to learn what else CMS can do to keep our schools and our students safe. In the meantime, members of our operations teams and CMS police are conducting security audits to explore added security measures, such as single door entry into every school facility and school buzz-in systems.
As a country, we must confront the fact that we have far too many ways for violence to be committed and far too few opportunities to address mental health issues. I hope that we can learn from this tragedy as a nation.
I greatly appreciate the support we are receiving as we work through these challenges while remaining focused on the education of our students.
Copyright 2012 WBTV. All rights reserved.
Upcoming Events near East Charlotte
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Public charter school celebrates expansion
- Matthews dentist to offer free dental care on Saturday
- Missing Matthews teen found safe, police say
- Charlotte home event, reflective of housing turnaround, sees record ticket sales
- Sportsplex ready for amateur tournaments and could put Matthews on the sports map
- MEDIC: Two injured in southeast Charlotte wreck
- Firefighters investigating house fire in Elizabeth neighborhood
- French government to honor 15 NC veterans in Charlotte today
- Charlotte woman turning to Internet for clues in home break-in
- Police looking for two men wanted in connection to South End car break-ins